Pacquiao vs Margarito | Pacquiao vs Margarito News | Pacquiao vs Margarito Updates | Pacquiao Margarito 24/7 Episodes | Pacquiao vs Margarito Online Live Streaming

Pacquiao Mosley 24/7 and Online Live Streaming

Mayweather vs Ortiz Online Live Streaming, News and Updates, Mayweather Ortiz 24/7

Friday, November 5, 2010

Team Pacquiao and Team Margarito talk retirement and respect as Dallas looms

Pacquiao vs Margarito, Pacquiao vs Margarito News, Pacquiao vs Margarito Online Live Streaming, Pacquiao vs Margarito Updates
The camps of both Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito have been covered in depth heading into their November 13th bout at Cowboys Stadium. By this point in time all of the hard work during training is in the rearview and the teams will make their way from Southern California to Dallas, Texas in just a few days time.

While there seemed to be some obvious harsh feelings coming from both camps last month, the tone during yesterday’s conference call was much more subdued as everyone realizes the need for any amount of trash talk is obsolete by this point. Pacquiao, his trainer Freddie Roach, promoter Bob Arum, Margarito and his trainer Robert Garcia all seem to be simply relishing the opportunity that awaits next weekend in one of the year’s biggest fights.

The two men are at different points in their careers. Pacquiao's last two years in the sport have been the stuff of legends as he has risen in weight and tore through a formidable list of opposition but there has been whispers that his time in the sport could be coming to a close if he can't secure a fight with Las Vegas based Floyd Mayweather Jr. next year. Margarito saw his career stumble after he was discovered to have elements of plaster of paris in his hand wraps prior to his January 2009 loss to Shane Mosley as was subsequently suspended by the California State Athletic Commission. He has been attempting to pick up the pieces ever since and seems to be riding a wave of confidence with Garcia in his corner.

During the conference call there were highlights such as Pacquiao’s future in the sport, Arum’s thought on promoting Pacquiao over the years, Margarito’s confidence heading into the clash, Roach’s plan on defeating the Tijuana fighter and much more.

This is what all parties had to say…

Freddie Roach on training in the Philippines…
“In the Philippines we had a pretty good training camp. It wasn’t our best. We did miss one day for the president but that is unusual. Comparative-wise we have never had a bad training camp. He is in great shape and since we have been here in the States at the Wild Card he has been running the mountains to the Hollywood sign and so-forth. Everything is on track now and we are 100% ready for the fight. Manny told me he will not disappoint me and I know that’s true I expect great things. He sparred nine rounds yesterday with three different opponents and did very well and we are starting to taper back now, cutting back each day and saving it for the fight at this moment.”

Bob Arum on the financial success of the fight…
“The response to the ticket sales has been great. We are tracking well ahead of where we were at the Clottey fight and I’m very optimistic. It’s a great area. The ball team in the World Series and the Cowboys trying to right themselves and there are great fans in the North Texas area. I think we will exceed it. The first fight we did 50,000 and change and I think this fight we will exceed it. I think we will do over 60,000.”

Freddie Roach on the up-and-up…
“I’m a professional and I do my job. There will be no tampering with hand-wraps this time. It’s not an issue – it’s in the past. We are past that now. We are fighting on equal terms. It helps the fight in general because of the press and the notoriety of the fight. But it doesn’t change the fight at all; it will be on the up-and-up. Both will be equal in hand-wraps and that’s the way it is.”

Manny Pacquiao on the size difference…
“In our training today we started hard against big guys, taller to give them that advantage. We had plans for this camp to train for him and prepared ourselves with that strategy so we will have no problem with him. We do our best in training. With our strategy, we are not worried about the size. I believe I can fight the bigger guys even though I am small compared to them but we always believe in our talent.

In the news: Behind the scenes in Camp Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao not thinking of retirement just yet…
“No, the political career has not affected my boxing career. I have time for politics and I have time for boxing. Right now my focus is still into boxing. Once I get into training there is full focus on the fight so I am ready. No retirement. Not yet. I can still fight.”

Freddie Roach on how to defeat Margarito…
“I think we will overwhelm him with the punches he will land on him with the fast hands and combinations. In eight or nine rounds I think we will break him down. Margarito throws a lot of punches and he makes too many mistakes to beat us. He has bad habits and we are going to take advantage of all of them.”

Bob Arum on Pacquiao’s impact…
“I have never promoted a fighter before that has so captivated a country and a people the way Manny has. He is idolized and followed by every Filipino, whether he is in the Philippines or anywhere else around the world. It is a phenomenon like I have never seen before. I promoted 25 Ali fights and other fights for Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler and George Foreman, but I have never seen the enthusiasm of a people towards a fighter the way I see the enthusiasm for Manny Pacquiao.

Antonio Margarito staying away from the negative…
“I try not to dwell on the negative. I know people will ask the questions and I have to answer the questions and I have no problem with them. To me, right now all I am concentrating right now is on the fight. I know it is going to be asked but for me I have to concentrate on the fight. Everything is in the past and I can’t wait until November 13.”

Bob Arum’s opinion on the Margarito hand wrap scandal…
“Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I am a trained lawyer and I believe in justice and I believe that Antonio Margarito was not treated fairly by the California Commission. I believe that Antonio Margarito did not know anything of what was in those hand wraps and did not have an opportunity to try that and that the revocation of his license was unfounded and I said that at the time before there was even a conversation about a Margarito fight against Manny Pacquiao. I am delighted that Antonio came through all of this and I am delighted that the Texas boxing commission read the record and saw what was in fact the true facts surrounding this situation and gave Antonio a license and I am delighted to be the promoter of this fight.”

In the news: Miguel Cotto to be present in Dallas for Pacquiao-Margarito bout

Antonio Margarito on his relationship with Top Rank…
“I am very happy where I am. I have always been treated well by Top Rank. I have done everything I have been supposed to do. I never looked to go anywhere else. Why would I go anywhere else when I am with the best? I will end up my career with them.”

Robert Garcia’s admiration…
“I have always admired Pacquiao’s career. He has done good things in boxing. He is seven-time world champion. You can’t beat that. But watching his fights over and over we know he makes mistakes.”

Antonio Margarito assessing Pacquiao…
“I couldn’t tell you anyone that comes close to his style or the way he fights. I never fought anyone like that or anyone that comes close. I see his speed. I know he is a fast guy but he is a smaller guy also. I see some things there, but I would never consider it an easy fight or think I have big advantages over him because I don’t. He may think he can be a big puncher in this weight division, so I want to get up in the ring to see what we can do with each other.”

Source: Examiner.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails